The Senate has approved the creation of a Gender and Sexuality Senator position. This Senator will act as a liaison to gender and sexuality organizations on campus, represent student concerns to administrators, and stay informed about campus gender and sexuality initiatives at other institutions.
As an elected, voting member of the Student Senate, the creation of this position must be approved by the student body through a 2/3 majority vote. The vote for this referendum will occur this Thursday, May 5th. If confirmed, the representative for this position will be voted on this coming fall for the 2016-17 school year. For each subsequent year, however, this position will be elected will the other spring representatives.
Discussions surrounding the creation of this position began in the spring of 2015, where several students approached the Senate about developing more adequate representation for gender and sexuality organizations and concerns on campus. After numerous conversations with the Bylaws subcommittee, a proposal finally came to the Senate floor proposing this new position. Several students attended Senate to advocate for the creation of this position. On March 14th, the Senate approved the creation of this position and shortly after it was sent to a student vote.
The duties of this position as outlined in the SGA Bylaws are as follows:
- The Gender and Sexuality Senator shall:
- Act as a liaison to gender and sexuality groups, relevant classes on campus, Carleton, and the Northfield community.
- Represent student gender and sexuality concerns to administrators.
- Hold one (1) office hour weekly to gather feedback about campus gender and sexuality initiatives and concerns.
- Stay abreast of campus gender and sexuality initiatives at other institutions.
- Upon completion of his or her term the Gender & Sexuality Senator shall submit a review of the position and accomplishments to Senate, in particular to the bylaws and internal affairs subcommittees, several weeks before senate adjourns or the senator’s term ends (whichever applies).
- Sunset clause: the Bylaws Subcommittee for the 2016-2017 academic year shall review the position of Gender and Sexuality Senator and update these bylaws according to relevant information discovered. The Bylaws Subcommittee will review the effectiveness and viability of a GSS Senator and act accordingly. Bylaw’s decision must be made before the spring election cycle begins. Once a proposal to these bylaws is made in compliance with this rule, this rule (XII.B.8.e.i) shall be stricken from the bylaws.
- Temporary Election Clause: The Election for the Gender and Sexuality Senator for the 2016-2017 academic year shall take place in the fall of that year. All other elections for the position will be held in the spring, including the spring immediately after that first election in the fall. Once the fall election occurs, this rule (XVI.A.d.6.d) shall be stricken from the bylaws.
To create election procedure for the aforementioned senator position, be it so added to the bylaws of SGA XVI.A.d. (election procedure) as a newly formed part 6:
- Gender and Sexuality Senator
- Each candidate shall submit a petition bearing the signatures of fifty (50) students to the SGA election commission.
- All students may vote for this position.
- The Gender and Sexuality Senator may be any student at St. Olaf.