Donald Trump is a well known business man with his name blazoned across many skylines. Politically, he has flip-flopped on some issues and has donated to both Republican and Democratic candidates in the past. His brash demeanor and off-the-cuff remarks has made him famous, or infamous, in this election.
Trump on the issues:
- Has changed his view on abortion. Most recently claims he is pro-life. Believes in defunding Planned Parenthood.
- Is against the North Carolina anti-LGBT laws
- Check up on mosques to be sure there is no suspicious behavior
- Political correctness is a problem
- Opposes ObamaCare
- Believes we need to build a wall between the United States and Mexico to keep immigrants out. Trump has made rather incendiary remarks regarding illegal immigrants.
- Believes the Common Core is a disaster
- Believes climate change is a hoax
- Wants to expand oil drilling as it is the lifeblood of the American economy
- States that we’re losing to China in trade
- Supports Israel
- Desires more sanctions on Iran
- Would take military action against ISIS
Campaign Website: www.donaldjtrump.com
Hillary Clinton is the former First Lady, Senator from New York, and Secretary of State. She ran against President Obama in the 2008 Democratic primaries. Clinton was on the Clinton Foundation’s board before resigning in 2015.
Clinton on the issues:
- Has consistently used the Democratic Party’s platform: Safe, Legal, and Rare
- Supported a surge of troops in Afghanistan
- As Secretary of State, she helped set up diplomatic talks that led to the current Iran nuclear deal
- She has accepted formal responsibility over the security lapses that led to the deaths of Ambassador Stevens in Benghazi, Libya.
- In her tenure, she visited the largest number of countries out of any Secretary of State.
- Wants to raise the minimum wage, and provide tax reliefs for working families
- Supports investing tax dollars in infrastructure
- Clinton has stated she wants to cut red tape for small businesses, and provide tax reliefs for businesses with 1-5 employees
- The United States needs paid maternity leave for both women and men
- Women need to earn the same as men for their work
- Reduce the burden of college loans on students
- Stated we should not teach the Bible as science in school
- We need to invest in renewable energy, specifically solar power. United States should be the next clean energy superpower.
- America shouldn’t be in the business of breaking up families or turning away talented immigrants who have contributed to our economy
- Defends Obama’s executive actions on deferred deportation
- Conduct humane enforcement and use resources only on those that pose a threat to public safety
Black Lives Matter:
- “Too many African American men are missing from our communities. We have to come to terms with some hard truths about race and justice in America. From Ferguson to Baltimore, the patterns have become undeniable. There is something wrong when African American men are still far more likely to be stopped by police, charged with crimes, and sentenced to longer prison terms than their white counterparts. A third of all black men born today face the prospect of prison during their lifetimes.”
- We need a balanced criminal justice system
- Supports expanding access to effective substance abuse programs
- Women have the right to choose their own healthcare and this healthcare should not be restricted
Campaign website: www.hillaryclinton.com
last updated on 6/19/2015